Sunday, December 18, 2011

Quirky

I used to think that I was the only one who had quirky thoughts.  Ha!  The more I emerge from my shell, the more evident it becomes that I am not alone.  To my relief, these thoughts are not, in and of themselves, unusual.  Then again....

When using the noun ”quirky,” I mean in the sense of objects or situations being something other than what they really are.  For instance, that cloud in the sky which has the shape of a horse, or, the bird over yonder which seems to be trying to communicate in a "we're all God’s creatures" kind of way (come on, haven't you ever noticed an animal looking at you and wonder what it is thinking).  Or, to stumble upon a book or song title which seems to correlate with a random thought pondered earlier, seemingly confirming this, that, or the other.  You get the gist.  If not, then I am soon to be off to the looney bin!

During Palm Sunday the priest, deacon, and deacon in training brought a cluster of palm leaves with them to commemorate Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey (Matthew 21:1-11 NAB).  The priest blessed the leaves and then distributed those tokens of remembrance amongst the assembly.  It was a nice gesture.  Tradition.

Later in the day I observed a thin strand of palm leaf in an otherwise empty wastebasket where the Eucharist (Mass) had been celebrated.  It was likely that such inadvertently fell to the floor during the morning Liturgy (Mass) and a passerby threw it away.  (The proper manner of disposal is unknown to me.) Through an innocent oversight, ignoring this remnant did not seem kosher.  After all, the strand of palm leaf was blessed.  Not to mention, it was the beginning of Holy Week.  Feeling that I could not simply abandon the fragment, I picked it out of the wastebasket, wound it around two fingers, and proceeded to braid it (what I consider a braid, that is).  Then, without much thought, I placed the wad in my shirt pocket, willing myself to not forget it.  Not forgetting would be a feat in itself!

The next morning I felt the remnant in my pocket and remembered to remove it.  But, what would I do with it?  I had no clue.  So, until I had a better inkling of what direction to take, I placed it atop my medicine bag.  Huh?  My medicine bag?  Perhaps I should take a moment and elaborate.  I keep my rosary in a medicine bag made for me by a Native American friend.  No, I am not Indian.  Anyway, when not in use, the bag is perched on top of my Bibles.  (Yes, I have more than one.)

Moving on....  Periodically, particularly when reading my Bible, I will look up for a pensive moment, or to rest my eyes, and the medicine bag will draw my attention.  By proxy, the palm leaf fragment, too.  Right from the outset, a quirky series of thoughts began developing.  Keep in mind, this is Holy week.  By sheer randomness, the manner in which the satchel is normally positioned, the top not cinched shut, but open, a glint of light can be observed reflecting from the rosary's crucifix resting deep within.

Now, bear with me as I attempt to develop this mental picture.   Visualize the Bibles as a representation of holy ground.  Have you done it, yet?  Come on, nobody is looking, go ahead.  Okay, during this next step I want you to regard the medicine bag as the tomb of Jesus.  Whoa, that is heavy, I know.  As for the weaved remnant of palm leaf?  It is perched atop the medicine bag like a badge of honor…a crown of thorns.  Take a moment to connect all the dots.  Shazzam, the Paschal Mystery!

Yes, I have an overactive imagination, but what a cool and constant reminder of what paths the mind can take.

May 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment