Thursday, June 22, 2017

Biblical Ignorance

   "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man may be complete, equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17 RSVCE). * * *
   Truly, truly, I say to you, when it comes to knowing scripture, Genesis to Revelation, able to quote chapter and verse, I feel inept. A failure. A poser. A fake Christian.
   Slightly over a half decade ago, my mom gifted me an exquisite Bible. Genuine leather. Gold gilded page edges. My name embossed on the cover. Words of Jesus in red - of course, everybody knows that those "red" utterances make the intensity mo' better! And, such is a Revised Standard Version...ahem, Catholic Edition. I've underlined passages in copious fashion, being ever so careful to always use a straight edge. For those who scoff at my laying of lines atop sacred pages, uh, don't freak out, but notes have also been scribbled (gently and neatly) in the margins with reserve! This sacred book is treated with care and not tossed around willy nilly. Partly because it contains declarations from God, the efficacious and living words, but more so because such is a cherished gift from my mom. A keepsake, if you will. A memento, like my rosary, both of which it is hoped will last the whole of this temporal existence. As a result, this bound collection of scripture appears pristine. And, yes, it is clear that my priorities and emphasis are backwards!
   Even prior any conversion to Christ, I was enamored by people who randomly quoted these sacred texts from memory. Though, admittedly, quite buggered when they'd use them against me! Their fluency and seemingly effortless use caused a level of discomfort, as well - it is suspected that, deep down, there existed a realization that I needed what was being spoken.
   Today, however, I am anxious when in proximity to capable evangelizers. Not because scripture is being used against me - that is, in itself, humbling and necessary to growth - but, because such amounts to a burgeoning mountain of evidence that I am unable to engage without reference to an index, concordance, or apologetical cheat sheet. There they stand, tattered and dogeared and faded Bibles in hand (or, worse, no book, mere memory), drawing passage after passage. Not necessarily to promote a theological agenda, perhaps simply to share their passion. My inability to follow suit with similar gymnastics causes me to feel so small.
   Mistakenly, some may presume preeminence being stressed over other areas of my life. To an extent, this is understandable. But the majority of my day is vastly oriented towards our Lord. But, in all fairness to these suspicions, I fall short in actually pouring over the Bible itself.      To begin with, there isn't enough time in the day. Compounding matters, if I do scratch out space to "read" scripture, my mind is tuckered and eyes have no more oomph. Those scholars who are scoffing, saying to yourselves, "Karl must not be investing himself!" Without knowing more, your conjecture would be astute. However, and this is not and excuse, I spend a nice chunk of my day praying swaths of scripture in the Liturgy of the Hours. Theology and philosophy are being studied; though, philosophy is a fairly new and ambitious interest. Blurbs of Church history and Early Church Fathers/Doctors and apologetics (the defense of the faith) are squeezed in here and there. Oh, and reading the lives of saints is particularly profitable and saturated with encouragement - how awesome it is to explore how others have converted to Jesus, navigated their particular shortcomings, and proved to be an effective witness for us all. And, yes, the time gobbled up as I write about my spiritual odyssey. Whew. A journeyman of all, master of none...but, each, in its own right, points directly to God. 
   May we now return to the opening passage - the one at the top of this essay! My non-Catholic brothers and sisters typically use this verse to promote Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone); nothing but the Bible itself, that everything in life can be answered within those pages. Not looking any further, Sola Scriptura seems plausible. Very much so. However, the Bible does not teach or imply such a doctrine. Instead, Saint Paul, when addressing Thessalonica, counsels believers to "stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us" (2 Thessalonians 2:15a). Saint Paul goes so far as to "commend" the Christians of Corinth for "maintain[ing] the traditions...as...delivered" to them (1 Corinthians 11:2). Saint John shares in his gospel that "there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written" (John 21:25). So important are these apostolic traditions (divine teachings handed on by the apostles themselves), we are admonished to "keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us" (2 Thessalonians 3:6). Now, one could propose that these apostolic traditions are those which are recorded in the Bible; however, the quantifier revolves around the apostolic traditions which were "either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15b). Keep in mind, when these words were spoken and or written, the Bible as we know it did not exist!
   Adding to the evidence that Sola Scriptura is contrary to Christian doctrine, Jesus himself conveys that "my [his] words will not pass away" (Mark 13:31). Yet, one has to wonder, what was meant? Remember, the Bible did not exist! Thus, one must infer that, no doubt, much of what we know about God has indeed been recorded in scripture. Though, as these holy pages inform, it would be impractical, if not impossible, to document everything Christ did. Thus, the Bible cannot possibly amount to the complete tome of what has been divinely revealed (please know that I am in no way minimizing the supernatural nature of scripture). Which begs the question, where does this guiding authority exist? In its very pages the Bible unequivocally answers this query: the Church is the "pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Timothy 3:15).
   Adhering to Sola Scriptura, as has just been refuted, is tantamount to "rejecting the commandment of God, in order to keep your tradition" (Mark 7:9). Mind you, this passage is referring to man-made traditions, not apostolic traditions. Man-made traditions are frowned upon if such draw believers away from God and, instead, emphasize individualistic fancies: "See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition...and not according to Christ" (Colossians 2:8). An inherent problem is that we want to be our own scribes; however, "no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation" (2 Peter 1:20).
   Saint Paul offers the following warning: "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths" (2 Timothy 4:3-4). Man-made tradition!
   Okay, getting back to the initial thrust surrounding the dilemma of feeling biblically inferior. Many of the Christians I know, who spend considerable time within the duct taped covers and coffee stained pages of their Bibles, possess a wonderful capacity to eloquently shout the biblical stories. Kudos to each and every one of them. They are profound witnesses of Christianity, especially when living one's faith in a way which glorifies our Lord. Their flair often captivates listeners. Quite frankly, I am envious! If somebody asks me, "Hey, who was Abraham speaking to when...," I don't have a clue. Or, "In what region was Jesus when...," no inkling. Aargh. Although I enjoy these stories, I am drawn with fervor to the teachings of scripture itself, both historically and their relevance today. But even then, mental acuity, or lack thereof, prevents me from standing toe to toe in gentle debate. Paper, pen, and a pile of books better suits me to constructively engage at a later date. Though, it must be admitted, I am growing considerably more confident when it comes to speaking publicly on biblical teachings and history...I simply lack the ability or discipline to memorize the passages. Oops, nearly forgot, I may be missing the charisma and panache genes, too. Perhaps my yearning to quote chapter and verse at will is vanity!
   To sum up my perceived notions of inadequacy, well, uh, such are not shortcomings, per se, but a different approach to my spirituality. As one teacher was wont to note, "Karl marches to his own drum!" Still, it would be nice to possess those other talents....
   At this moment I feel compelled to thank all of those who have provided encouragement and the gracious tools for my growth. Mom. Friends. Religious (nuns, monks, deacons, priests). Apostolates (ministries). Publishers. Lest not overlook the Holy Spirit. Uh huh, Mary, too. I am indebted to each and all.  * * *
   "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ" (Saint Jerome).
Can I get an "Amen!"?
   Marana tha

No comments:

Post a Comment