Monday, May 7, 2012

NEIGHBORS

     “You shall love your neighbor” (Matthew 22:39; Luke 10:27, New American Bible). How many times have we been treated to that command in one form or another? Well, I don't know about you, but sometimes I just don't like my neighbor! Tolerating them is tough enough, but loving them? I don't know, that is a pretty tall order. Anyway, how important was/is this decree, the “second” commandment delivered by Jesus. The first is the easy one: “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:37; Luke 10:27, NAB).
     No problem! After all, I am human and God surely anticipates failure on our parts. Or, this is my justification! Admittedly, this rationale is flawed, but such is a creative way to excuse my dislike of particular individuals. Begrudgingly, however, I have begun to question my strategy.
     Listening to a lecture of Fr Larry Richards, he stuck his foot out and tripped me with a scenario that I had been successfully skirting around. Here is the essence of Fr Larry's message: "If we can't love our neighbors, those individuals who we can see, how can we logically pledge our love to God, whom we cannot see?”  Humph, so much for being content in my brooding! His question really caused me to stumble. Simple and practical; yet, so difficult.
     While mulling over this hypothesis, I was inundated with a flurry of thoughts (particularly of individuals whom I possess no desire to “love”). With little time to place anything into perspective, Fr Larry cajoled the congregation to write a list of ten people they disliked, from “not so much to “worst”. Ha, that was easy enough, especially since these “less desirables" were presently in the forefront of my mind.
     Let's see, whom shall I begin with? My roommate, who is impossible to contend with regarding the use of room lights or his predisposition to listen to excessively loud music? Next, the not so nice gentleman who served an undersize portion of food during lunch?  The nincompoop who punched me in the face because I called his friend a thief after he ripped me off? Punched me twice. You get the gist. As you correctly assume, he is at the bottom of my list and has been for several years.  Yes, I realize that such amounts to a grudge. What can I say, my ability to forgive is predicated on conditions: so long as I don't see him, I don't remember how unstable he is!
     Within no time my list was complete. But, the order is tentative. Depending on how my day is going, a couple of the honorees may switch positions. Ah, but this exercise was not as it initially appeared. I was tricked. Misled. Fr Larry bamboozled me (I suspect others, too). That stinker of a priest made the following correlation to our choice to dislike, loath, or hate: “We love God as much as the person we love the least!" Ouch’ how could this be? Yet, deep down, I knew he was right. In order for my relationship with Christ to mature, I must learn to love my neighbor.
     The lecture did not conclude there. Fr Larry was not content with merely tripping me (us), his goal was to humble. No. He went on to quote several more Scripture passages, which really pulled together the significance of what Jesus was seeking to convey to us.
     Most notably:  "I [Jesus] give you a new commandment: love one another, as I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another (John 13:34-35. NAB).
     "Whoever has my [Jesus] commandments and observes them is the one who loves me” (John 14:21b, NAB).
     "This is my [Jesus] commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has a greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you” (John 15:12-14, NAB).
     Now, I do not think that last passage meant that we are expected to actually lose our actual life on behalf of another, though admirable as that may be. No, I think this means that when a neighbor is in need we are to stop whatever it is we are doing and help that individual. Not with angst or reservation, but out of love.
     I don't know about you, but Fr Larry has given me much to work on. How do I love someone who irritates me? How do I love someone who assaults me? How do I not be selfish and turn aside from whatever I am doing to help a neighbor? All of this before I can honestly claim to love God…….

No comments:

Post a Comment