Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THE TOMB IN GOLGOTHA

     Holy Communion is proving to be a time of curious revelation and interaction with God. Aside from the obvious (reception of the Body of Christ), other facets are coming to light. See also, CONNECTED TO JESUS.
     Prior to the start of Mass we, the assembled faithful, typically set aside a half hour to collectively pray the rosary. One of the meditative mysteries in particular was that of the Resurrection of Christ. You know, everything from burial in the tomb, coming back to life, and ascending into heaven. As can be imagined, the meditative prayers of the rosary can be incredibly enriching depending on how deeply a person opens themselves to the mysteries of the Scripture. Often times, these reflections can carry over into the celebration of the liturgy itself. When this occurs, the Mass is all the more meaningful.
     If you are wondering, yes, these visuals remained with me throughout Mass. In fact, such intensified. (Note we’re talking meditation and prayer here, not a total disconnect from reality.)
     Having participated in the holy observance of Communion, I was kneeling and praying while the Body of Christ reconstituted Himself on my tongue. While this was transpiring, I thought of how the breathless body of Jesus was placed in the tomb at Golgotha, a boulder rolled in front to seal the opening. In comparison, not unlike the Body of Christ laying motionless in my closed mouth.
     As we all know (if you don’t, you're in worse shape than I am), the body of Jesus eventually came back to life (resurrected) and ascended into heaven. Humph! How does such apply to my eccentric meditative journey? If you will, please grant me a smidgen of leeway. Okay, more than a smidgen! For starters, the Body of Christ was becoming reconstituted on my tongue. Essentially, Jesus was coming back to life! Just like in the tomb. As for the ascension into heaven, when I consumed the Body of Christ, He spread throughout my body……
     SIDE NOTE: So peculiar are these moments of spiritual grace, I cannot help but wonder what thoughts and experiences other communicants (parishioners) entertain or are exposed to during the celebration of the Eucharist?

No comments:

Post a Comment