Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I Offer You

   Within a devotional prayer titled the Chaplet of Divine Mercy there is a segment in which one will encounter the following proclamation: "Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world." This expression can be quite humbling; but also difficult, especially for the unprepared.
   Attending a Holy Communion service recently, the extraordinary minister called an audible (an unsuspected change of direction) during our worship. He suggested that we collectively spend some time in silence.
   When he had led us down this path on a previous occasion, Jesus was still on the altar and we were blessed with an opportunity for Eucharistic adoration. An awesome experience. However, this audible was announced after our Lord had been consumed. Hmph.
   It must be conceded, I was a little buggered that our extraordinary minister waited until this juncture to make such an announcement. Could he not have promulgated these intentions prior to Jesus being consumed? Ah, perhaps he was just following the promptings of the Holy Spirit! Or, like me, he was wrestling with (ignoring) the Holy Spirit like I do and had at that late moment responded!
   As I sat there and stewed (pouted) like an uncouth Neanderthal, I began reflecting on those words cited earlier from the Chaplet. Jesus, in his entirety, Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, was inside me at that moment. Just minutes before I had ingested him.
   Also, recalling the reflections shared after one of the liturgical readings of the service (Acts 2:42-47), I pondered how we are counseled to die to self, that each time we approach the altar we are to have the disposition and intention of offering ourselves fully to God. How much more complete could my sacrifice be: Here I am God, your Son, his fullness within me, I offer myself in conjunction with him, to do with me what you will....
   Sobering. Humbling. Scary. All of my thoughts and emotions zigzagged and collided in a variety of variables. The implications of the Chaplet and our response to our Lord took on new dimensions. Whoa!
   Admittedly, I feel a bit silly about my earlier grievances of not being able to enjoy Eucharist adoration during the worship service. Instead, I was able to set self desires aside and offer myself more undividedly to God (still have a ways to go).
   When will I learn to simply trust! Silly....
Marana tha

No comments:

Post a Comment