Saturday, July 22, 2017

Black and White

   "[G]uard what has been entrusted to you...[a]void contradictions" (1 Timothy 6:20 RSVCE). "[T]he Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly" (2 Timothy 2:24). * * *
   Living out my Catholic faith can be, at times, difficult. But, such has also been an exercise in humility and meekness. When first opening myself to the presence of Christ, I was extremely timid and avoided all forms of debate. Similarly, there was a strong tendency to steer away from discussing anything in the realms of faith and religion because I had not developed any reasoned opinions. Plus, the bickering and division witnessed in others was not appealing: "The blow of a whip raises a welt, but a blow of the tongue crushes the bones" (Sirach 28:17). Today, however, firm positions have been adopted and developed. Even so, I tend to avoid debates...that is, unless the atmosphere is ripe to gently sprinkle seeds or bear fruit. Whether planting or harvesting, caution must be exercised to ensure that pride or ego or anger have not emerged as my motivating forces (Psalms 39:1-3); the ultimate inquiry being: Will this, that, the other glorify God? There are many opportunities to evangelize in this community; but, sometimes more can be accomplished if silence is maintained ("there are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence" Rule of Saint Benedict 6.2).
   Of the Christian classes which I have been blessed to receive admission over the past several years, all have been non-Catholic in theological and philosophical perspectives (save but a few correspondence courses). This notwithstanding, a tremendous volume of insight has been gleaned. Also, a greater understanding and love of our separated brothers and sisters has manifested.
   While attending an elective philosophy class recently, the facilitator made the following comment: "Holy Scripture is black and white, there are no shades of gray." Hmph, my Bible has red, too! (Yeah, that last comment was clearly a tad juvenile on my part...bad Karl!) The facilitator continued: "No dot or iota can be altered or added or removed." Okay, I can dig it! But a short time into the lecture he read the following swath from our Lord's discourse on the Living Bread: "I am the living bread which came down from heaven...he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life" (John 6:51-54).
   Admittedly, those are pretty difficult words which Jesus spoke. If you read this brief text from the pages of your Bible, it will be noticed that these phrases are repeated several times with the same emphasis. Yet, our facilitator dismissed such as hyperbole: "Surely, we are not to believe that Jesus was referring to his actual flesh and blood, the text is only meant to be understood in the spiritual context, symbolic."
   These passe comments were met with bobbing heads of acceptance from the class. For those who know me, I have a tremendous reverence for Christ in his Eucharistic presence...oh, goodness, is such ever intense. As a result, I was conflicted with what to do. For lack of a more genteel expression, because this was a Protestant class in which I had been invited, seldom would I voice a Catholic perspective. Yet, this time there had been a bugger clawing at me: If I failed to engage, would those who were present assume my ascent? Plus, there exists the weight of being charged to promote the truth (2 Timothy 1:14, 2:15; James 5:19-29), even in the face of adversity (Matthew 5:10-11; John 15:20; 2 Timothy 3:12; Galatians 4:16). Aargh! Poked and prodded if not by the Holy Spirit then by the spirit of a pope past, I felt like Moses when God asked him to address Israel: "'Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent...I am slow of speech and of tongue'" (Exodus 4:10).
Waiting for a moment when there would be limited disturbance to the lecture, I put my plow to the field and kicked the mule. With respect and gentleness, permission was given to the facilitator to stop my address if at anytime he felt uncomfortable (not as though he needed license, it was his class).
   Sweaty palms and a steeled voice, I began trampling weeds and cultivating the seedbed. At the outset, it was conceded that God's word is indeed "black and white" with no room to add or remove (see Matthew 5:18; Luke 16:17; also Mark 13:31). But, this was where concessions ended. Referring to the Greek definitions of "eat" and "drink" in the context of the disputed text, such wholly supports the Catholic position of the Real Presence in the Eucharist. What becomes glaringly evident, other variations of the same words are available in Greek which endorse a symbolic application, but such were not employed by Christ.
   To further bolster the veracity of the Catholic interpretation is a contention between Jesus and many of his followers who, like my class, complained: "This is a hard saying; who can listen to it" (John 6:60-61). A few verses later, our Lord accuses these discouraged souls of lacking faith (6:64a). Soon after, "many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him" (6:66). Recognizing beforehand that his words would be troublesome (6:64b), our Lord could have changed his intent or application, but he chose not to. Moreover, when seeing many of his followers flock away, Jesus could have called them all back and expressed that they had misunderstood; but, he didn't. Actually, they understood quite well.
   Alas, "[w]hoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord" (1 Corinthians 11:17). Whoa, there is a wallop of heavy evidence which weighs in favor of something much more than a mere symbol. Even more stern are the following words: "For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself...[t]hat is why many of you are weak and ill" (11:29-30). Ouch! It's pretty difficult to be much clearer.
   The counter was complete. Being that this was an elective class consisting of mature Christians studying philosophy, there was little fear of discouraging one's spiritual journey. Instead, there was anxiety over any negative fallout being directed towards me. None. Nadda. Nothing. There was no further discussion or grunting or anything, we simply moved on with the lecture. In a peculiar way, this befuddled me...I wanted a little push back, some passion about their convictions...did they hear a word of what I drew from scripture...I was mounted on my mule and ready to charge, ahem, or gallop away (uh, aimlessly saunter).
* * *
   Please, do not think that this was a win in the sense that "Karl and his mule broadcast Catholic seeds all throughout the fields of Kingdom Come." Though, indeed a victory, said triumph was not how one would generally perceive.
   Thanks to the programs which I have been invited to participate, I now possess confidence where such was absent. Also, the past several years in the Prison Fellowship Faith Dorm have provided an atmosphere where differing faiths and traditions and beliefs can be shared constructively. Yes, there have been struggles and persecutions suffered, but viewed appropriately we have all been able to learn how to navigate such. The calmness with which the above exchange unfolded exemplifies the growth of all present. I am greatly indebted to the facilitators and community for providing a climate which is conducive to germination. If not for these blessings and tribulations, I would still be a fledgling Christian (well, more so than currently). Thank you.
   Marana tha

No comments:

Post a Comment